New car, sick child and nuisance phone calls

Yesterday was a crazy day. What had started off as a really positive, exciting day, slowly deteriorated into a hard and stressful one.

After our really old banger Bruce left us back in January we have been without a car. This might not sound that hard for all the thousands of families who live without a car 24/7 but when you’re used to having something and then you lose it. Well, it takes some adjusting. Yesterday morning we had a knock at the door and it was a delivery driver from Nissan with our brand new car. We already had his name planned and Gaston it was (named after the cute ladybug character from Ben & Holly’s Little Kingdom). He was finally here, after weeks and weeks of waiting. He is gorgeous, so shiny and a pleasure to drive. Gaston is already earning his place as the most fun car ever.

The day started to turn sour when someone close to me decided to do the most immature thing and lash out, I presume in a jealous way about the car. I know we can all be jealous and I shouldn’t listen to people who are acting in irrational anger, but I did. It knocked the wind out of my sails and I felt bad for enjoying our little family getting something nice.

The afternoon then took the worst possible turn when my son fell ill with an uncontrollable fever. Thankfully in his short twenty months he hadn’t suffered with much sickness but yesterday it was bad. His small cold that had given him an intermittent fever and sniffles the previous day had come back with force. He was distressed, burning a 40-41 degree temperature and paracetamol, fluids and cuddles were not helping one little bit. After speaking with our doctor’s surgery I was told that there was no appointments available and I had no choice but to ring the NHS 111 phone service. They were helpful and I’m grateful that we have the service there to use. I was able to get a nurse/medical professional to call me back within ten minutes and talked me through his symptoms properly and gave me some much needed advice on how to use over a combination of medicines to lower his fever.

FullSizeRender (58).jpg

I would like to note about 111 is that I didn’t feel that the initial call operator who took my call was perhaps the most easy to deal with. With questions like “is he at deaths door?” I really didn’t feel like I was being taken seriously or the question was insightful to the health of my boy and I felt like he had a touch of sarcasm to each of his questions. Maybe I’m being touchy as it was a stressful time but still, I don’t think using terminology like that was helpful or useful to anyone.

When I had hung up with the 111 team and was waiting for my own GP to ring me back, my landline rang. I thought it strange as I had been dealing with the medical stuff on my mobile and my landline NEVER rings. It’s more ornamental than of any use, but ring it did. On the other end of the line was someone asking for me by name, they said and I quote, “I am calling on behalf of Milton Keynes City Council about the accident you had that wasn’t your fault”. I responded “You’re calling from Milton Keynes council?” and was answered with “Yes, I am calling from Milton Keynes Council, we are working on behalf of the NHS and I am calling about your accident that wasn’t your fault”. I was losing patience at this point. Blatant cold calling, fraudulent lies. I said that no, I hadn’t been in any accidents and was then aggressively told “It was your husband then, he was in an accident”, at that point I just hung up, angry. I know cold calls are now to be expected as part of the ‘norm’ these days but throwing around that you are working for the local council and on behalf of the NHS is ridiculous. Someone who is more vulnerable would hear those sort of names and start divulging all manners of personal and sensitive information. Crazy and quite scary.  

I then had my actual GP ring me and asked me and my son to come into surgery so they can check him over. We was given our own private doctors office at the surgery and the practice nurse kept checking on us every few minutes, taking his temperature (which even after paracetamol refused to drop below 40) and generally making us feel extremely looked after. The hardest part for my son was that they needed to get a urine sample from him to rule out various infections, the practice didn’t have any nappy urine bags so first I had to strip him and try and wait patiently with a test tube to try and catch a sample with and then when that wasn’t appearing to work, I had to sit for over 90 minutes with my stripped son on my lap whilst he sat on a sick bowl with me trying to encourage him to go for a wee and getting him to drink lots of water. Of course he wasn’t feeling at all comfortable and he refused to go. I don’t blame him and in the end they gave up and said his ears and throat were swollen and red enough to justify a course of antibiotics which would cure any UTI infections along with it.

This is the first course of antibiotics our little boy has had to have. Very lucky in hindsight that although he’s had many allergy and skin problems in his short life, infections is something he hadn’t been plagued with. It’s a real hardship for both of us administering the liquid antibiotics. He can smell them coming a mile off and refuses to take them so it’s a few minutes of struggling and encouraging him to take the dose. I hate feeling like I’m torturing him into it but it’s for his own good. Sorry son.

Thankfully today has been better, his temperature finally dropped in the middle of the night and he’s finally had his eyes open, eaten something and been more ‘with it’. The sun is shining and finally the weekend is close.


As I’ve said before, normal life doesn’t ever stop and no matter how hard you plan or have moments you wish to celebrate, life always has a way of keeping you on your toes and all we can do is just roll with it.

Tonight I predict we’ll get home, shut the door. Have lots of family cuddles, cartoons and chocolate on the sofa. Chocolate, after all cures everything, right?