It’s been forever and a day since I gave a pregnancy update and so much has happened and is set to happen, it feels good to just let some of it out.
Aside from the standard pregnancy complaints; Insane heartburn, struggling to turn over in bed and backache that makes me limp, I have some very real reasons why I am praying the next eight weeks go smoothly, swiftly and why I can’t wait to hold our baby in my arms and just know “we did it”.
Little bit of back history for you: With my first pregnancy I suffered a condition called placenta previa which resulted in delivering our baby via a planned cesarean section.
Placenta previa is where the position of your placenta means a natural delivery isn’t possible or could be dangerous due to blocking or being too close to the neck of the cervix.
Going through a cesarean isn’t an easy option or a ‘walk in the park’ as I’ve heard it referred to before. Recovery from a cesarean section is also not something I would ever recall in favourable terms, it took a long time to feel myself again, but I have to be thankful that there was no subsequent complications and both George and I were both fine and with no lasting problems.
Fast forward over two years and a whole other load of different pregnancy worries already affected the early stages of our second pregnancy. I suffered numerous bleeds in the first trimester which caused me a lot of distress but thankfully the pregnancy remained healthy. Then at our 20 week scan I heard the dreaded words come from the staff conducting the ultrasound “Placenta is looking very low”. Sigh. This again? Really? Yes, lots of placentas can be low and the majority of them move away into safe positions by the end of the pregnancies but this hadn’t happened to me in our first pregnancy so, of course, I was sceptical.
Just to add an extra worry I was told that the placenta was also positioned on the front side of the uterus. Why is that a worry you ask? Well the position of the placenta is in the area of where I had the surgical cuts for the first cesarean. I was told by a consultant, this increased a small risk of a condition called placenta accreta. A condition where your placenta attaches into scar tissue in your uterus and can cause quite serious complications and risks to both baby and mum.
As I had one cesarean section under my belt and due to the earlier hiccups in the pregnancy I was already under consultant antenatal care alongside the standard midwifery care. A scan at 28 weeks and then 31 weeks confirmed the placenta was still not budging.
Now at 32 weeks pregnant I am waiting for an MRI scan to look in close detail what is happening with the placenta and whether it has grown into scar tissue or not, and if it is, what extent is the damage?
I’ve never had an MRI scan so I have no idea what to expect. I do know this scan isn’t to be taken lightly but I also know it’s a necessity. The doctors (and me) need to know the facts and can’t go blindly into the unknown.
Whether this baby will have to be born again by cesarean section is yet to be decided. What would I personally choose? I think given the choice I would favour a natural birth (even though that itself after a c section is something that needs closer care). My due date is New Years Day and very close to the Christmas period, that means I really don’t want to be stuck in hospital recovering from major surgery when I could be at home with my family having cuddles with our new bundle and sharing festive celebrations with my adored little toddler and beloved hubs.
But I know that the birthing decision, at least for the time being can’t be made, not by me and not by any doctor. One day at a time. And of course, I’d take the cesarean operation again in a heartbeat if it was the safest option for baby and me.
If that wasn’t enough pregnancy complications to send a hormonal mother-to-be a bit bonkers then here’s a couple more. I’m showing as dehydrated in last weeks tests, even though I drink SO much water. Plus the baby is measuring on the very large size and the doctor voiced concerns of this, so more ultrasounds planned to keep an eye on that. PLUS I might need retesting for gestational diabetes (my West Indies heritage makes me have a slightly higher risk of it but my original test results were normal (these were however quite a few weeks ago now so gotta wait and see).
So that’s what is happening with pregnant Lou at the moment. I really do hope that this is all a big storm in a teacup and the next few weeks will be full of all clears, sighs of relief and talks of one bouncy, healthy baby and one happy, healthy mum.
P.S. I just realised 12 hours after first publishing this blog that I completely forgot to mention baby is in a breech position too. I guess that’s the least of our worries at this point in time but it is another thing in my overpopulated mind.